One month to market: A scalable digital healthcare platform for Hims & Hers
Telehealth platform, Headless CMS
- Telehealth startup Hims wanted to target new customer segments and expand internationally — fast.
- In 20 days, a blended Hims & Rangle foundation team built ForHers.com on a new, scalable codebase.
- The scalable codebase enabled Hims to create ForHims.co.uk in 30 days and launch multiple new healthcare products and services in a single day.
About Hims and Hers
In 2018, telehealth startup Hims envisioned a digital platform that provides physician consultations on demand, personalized patient care and management, and home delivery of prescription medications, under a unified direct-to-consumer healthcare brand.
Hims was a growing e-commerce startup that offered FDA-approved treatments for hair loss, erectile dysfunction, acne, and other issues commonly experienced by men. Hims was already on track to becoming the one of the fastest growing telehealth companies in the US when Hims approached Rangle with an initial product website to target a new customer segment: Hers.
Everyone deserves access to quality, affordable care, no matter where they live, who they are, or whether they have insurance. Through the Hims & Hers platforms, patients have a safe, cost-effective way to receive medical advice and treatments, based upon evidence-based clinical guidelines, from a healthcare provider licensed in their state.
With Rangle, Hims built a scalable digital healthcare platform capable of
- launching multiple new healthcare products and services in a single day and
- entering new markets in one month.
Hims created a regionalized European platform and launched ForHims.co.uk in 30 days following the US launch.
Accelerating healthcare innovation
To become a one-stop shop for medical advice and treatment, Hims needed to a telehealth platform enabling physician consultations and managing patient data.
Our teams created HIPAA-compliant web application features to augment ForHims.com and ForHers.com with remote physician consultation capability.
Hims outpaced Teladoc Health, completing in two years 400,000 more consultations than Teladoc Health completed, after nearly two decades of growth, in 2020.
Apply agile to building digital products in healthcare.
Improving customer experience
Hims’ customer-centric platform provides a seamless user experience across physician consultations, the online pharmacy, and medical information about more than 100 health conditions.
Our team worked with Hims to map customer journeys and write and integrate agile user stories into core workflows. Together, we identified pain points in the checkout experience and experimented with new features.
For example, we built an AI-enabled proof-of-concept algorithm to automate photo ID validation and assessed impact on checkout flow and cutomer behaviour with A/B testing.
Enabling continuous delivery and improvement
Hims was a digital-native startup that quickly gained traction in the market with customers and investors. However, when Hims first partnered with Rangle, their workflow and processes couldn’t scale fast enough for their next phase of growth and Hims developers struggled to meet demands.
- Rangle worked with Hims to implement a DevOps practice.
- Continuous testing and alignment reduced the burden on quality assurance and enabled scrum teams to resolve bugs early.
- A Rangle scrum master implemented lightweight sprint processes and streamlined cross-functional communication, enabling Hims’ engineering team to align and pivot with the business.
- Feature-focused scrum teams improved productivity by reducing process regressions and context switching and facilitated more predictable delivery.
Scaling a digital portfolio of products and platforms
To manage and scale their portfolio for the next phase of growth, Hims needed to be able to experiment with new ideas and deploy new products quickly.
Designers and developers needed to build pages faster; and product and marketing teams needed to manage content independently of developers.
- We created component library aligned with Hims’ brand image with documentation, laying the foundation for a design system.
- We optimized site performance, componentized page layouts to ensure replicability, and modernized code stacks to enable faster page builds.
- We migrated Hims’ platforms to Contentful, empowering product and marketing teams to build pages, test features, and release new content without developers.
The result was a scalable platform capable of launching new products and services in hours, not days or weeks.
Enabling rapid growth
Throughout the COVID-19 pandemic, Hims continued to innovate, grow, and accelerate, as demand for online health products and services quintupled. Hims went public in 2021 as one of the fastest growing direct-to-consumer healthcare brands globally and is valued, at the time of writing, at over $1 billion USD.
Successful digital-native startups need to continuously innovate, grow, and accelerate as they acquire customers and gain market traction. Working with Rangle's advisory service and product teams will create efficiencies that scale — without adding to your headcount.
Have a project for us?